Took an amazing tour of the old Continental Distillery about an hour outside of Philadelphia. 14 warehouses, 3 floors each. Each floor held 330,000 barrels for a total of about 14 millions barrels. Picked up a few barrels and had a toast with a former employee of the distillery, 2 great guys from Liberty Distilling who's bringing back the Kinsey name that originally came out of that distillery and my best bud, Mike. These barrels were last filled on 3/22/71.
I got a great opportunity to take my Barrel Stave Wall Unit design and create a back bar shelving unit made from 3 barrels for the wall and using the lids to create the adjustable shelves. This is for a new bar/restaurant opening in Center City Philadelphia call U-Bahn. I hope you like it!
I've gotten noticed by a couple great magazines that have humbled me greatly. More issues to come!
So this is something I've been working on for quite sometime over the past few years. It's 100% designed from scratch and built by myself. The cabinets are walnut plywood to save on money and weight ($120 a sheet x 2). I didn't want to use iron-on walnut edge-banding so I decided to cut 1/8" strips from a walnut board, it's definitely going to last longer and it looks great. The bar top is constructed with a birch plywood base and topped with rough sawn walnut boards that I planed and joined down to 3/4". There's a square hole cut out for the condiment tray and plenty of room for all types of glassware and bottles. The walnut wine rack pulls out for other things I will build to put in it's place. The finish is General Finishes Enduro-Var, which is the best water-based urethane on the market that has an oil like finished but dries in 20-30 min, is scratch and alcohol resistant. The frame made from 1" square tubing and 1-1/2" round tubing welded for one solid frame. The bar is designed to be taken apart in four pieces: Top, frame and 2 cabinets, so it can be moved anywhere.
Picked up 2 Wild Turkey, 2 Four Roses and a Jim Beam. These barrel were recently used at a brewery and are still wet inside so they will take some time to dry out before they can be built into cabinets.
I delivered this barrel to Lindsey in August and she said she wouldn't give it to her husband until Christmas, which for me would be torture!!! When I delivered it he was shunned to the basement (poor thing) while I brought it into the house and it was hidden behind a tall bureau, not very well but I was told that he doesn't go into that room anyway. So I checked my phone on Christmas night while at a family party and I saw he posted this photo of the barrel with some very safe company, now I know the barrel will always be protected. Thanks Dustin!
Inlay "D" for the for the brides' husband. Darker stain on the wine rack wood. This was a great build!
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to return these wine barrels to their original glory (at least close to it with a slight modification) but through a lot of work with sanding, grinding, more sanding, grinding again and brushing the bands with a wire wheel, I was able to achieve this look which I kinda like. I was curious to see how the barrel would look with a sort of brushed metal finish, and this is the result.
This is the prototype of the the gear system that will be installed on top of the barrel that will have additional mechanisms below the lid to open and close the barrel. This prototype was done by hand with templates and band saw, the actual set up will be done with a CNC wood router to ensure correct alignment of the gears and teeth. I'm still deciding on the interior mechanisms, but updates will be provided when they happen.
I've done this technique for the first Four Roses barrel for Harry out in California. What I do is take the charred flakes after chiseling them from inside the barrel and let them sit in the water based clear coat I use on the outside of the barrel to basically create my own dark stain. You may think it would create an ebony like dark stain but it doesn't, the same reason the charring doesn't cause whiskey, scotch or rum to turn a dark black color. Essentially what I'm doing it recycling and reusing something from inside the barrel to use on the outside of the barrel. In the picture you can see the darker side from the lighter side after one coat, it's almost a dark oak stain that was created from using the barrels own charred characteristics. I chose to do this to this particular barrel because after some sanding, the wood looked to new in color and grain to not reflect what the barrel has been through and what it's created. This is only one coat, I typically use 2.